N.E.R.D - Nothing


Is there anyone who loves hip hop music and DOESN'T LOVE the new N.E.R.D stuff off their new record Nothing?? I don't think so - this record is an absolute banger!!

I've been checking out the tunes and it's totally fresh and sizzling with flavour - lots of snarey drumming and clugging bass guitars give that feel of a moody bluesy band with a horizontal chillaxing vibe.

My current fave tunes are Party People, Hot n Fun, Nothing On You, Hypnotize U, Help Me and Life As A Fish.

These songs still have that smokey jazz feel - but there's a strong current of electro thrown in; this is best seen on the song Hypnotize U, as it features an almost airy and infectious arrangement from Daft Punk.

There's some great crazy 70' psychedelia thrown in there too; and this wide selection of what can only be described as 'world music', is more than welcome from a band who seemingly stuck to their guns with heavy dusty drums and deep frogging bass lines.

All in all, I reckon it's the best record yet - the most accessible, the most wide ranging, and the most uplifting too.

Well done boys - I'm sure many will agree with open arms too :)

P.S. Here's a live version of their big club tune on the record, Party People, which actually features T.I. I do like the way the line 'What I need what I need is that girl there' sounds very similar to the MJ classic 'Don't Stop'? Bit geeky that :)
0 Responses

Post a Comment